By building their skills across the entire software development lifecycle, apprentices become confident junior engineers, able to design, develop and secure accessible, full-stack applications.
Over 15-18 months, apprentices develop into well-rounded software engineers. As well as coding, they build the broader skills of a developer, including problem solving, a second language, and communicating in a team.
The journey kicks off with a five-week bootcamp – an applied course in full-stack development led by industry-expert coaches. In its final week, apprentices work in teams to develop and showcase their own full-stack applications.
Then it’s into the workplace, with apprentices ready to begin refining and building on their new skills. The learning and growth never stops, with four additional modules focusing on core topics. Apprentices will work on a portfolio throughout the programme. Once complete, apprentices will pour all their new skills and knowledge into a final, work-based project
Most qualifications have a difficulty level. There are 9 qualification levels. The higher the level, the more difficult the qualification is.
Who it's for
Aspiring software engineers. Both those at the start of their career or professionals looking to retrain.
To apply you'll need
- To have the right to work in the UK
- To have lived in the UK continuously for the past 3 years
- To have at least a grade of 4/C GCSE (or equivalent) in Maths and English
- To have not previously studied the course content
- To have a foundation in one programming language
- To have skills equivalent to at least 3 months of coding experience
- To not undertake any other qualifications during the apprenticeship
- To be able to apply your learning to your role
- Software Engineering Level 4 apprenticeship standard
If you're already hired and looking to upskill at your work place, get in touch with your employer about next steps.
The learning journey
An intensive, five-week induction bootcamp to prepare apprentices for Day 1
Individual and team projects
Individual and team projects building accessible, full-stack applications
4 learning modules
Four modules focused on developing core knowledge
Refining and building on skills every day on the job
- Week 2: This week introduces object oriented analysis and design (OOAD) using the Unified Modelling Language (UML). Apprentices will also learn SQL (using SQLite as a simple database) and use ORM tools to create applications that can persist their state.
- Week 3: This week introduces the RESTful design pattern and how to create APIs to create, read, update and delete resources using Node.js Express middleware. The focus will be on server-side validation to prevent injection attacks. Apprentices will use templating frameworks to create dynamic content in web pages and learn how to create responsive applications. They will also develop a full-stack restaurant website to showcase the skills developed over the past three weeks.
- Week 4: This week starts with an introduction to Web Accessibility and requires the apprentices to assess their website for conformance to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). The rest of the week is focused on the HTML DOM model and DOM events such as drag and drop.
- Week 5: Apprentices demonstrate the skills they have learned in the last month through a week-long, group project that includes a design phase, a testing strategy, a database, a server, and a frontend.
Months 3, 4 & 5
Module 1: User interfaces
Module 1 is delivered as a series of five interconnected workshops held over five days and spread across three months. Apprentices focus on designing, building and optimising a front-end, with UX, web accessibility and performance considerations.
Months 6, 7 & 8
Module 2: RESTful APIs
Months 9, 10 & 11
Module 3: Deployment & Maintenance
Delivered as five separate workshops spread over five days, this module takes the output from the first half of the software development life cycle (tested software) and adds the knowledge and skills needed to package and deploy that software into different environments.
It’s only when our software is made accessible to users that we can start to gain the benefits of our carefully designed software solutions.
The module strikes a balance between understanding the theories and methodologies of software deployment and the technical skills needed to actually design and implement a deployment and maintenance strategy.
Months 12, 13 & 14
Module 4: Web Application Security
This module introduces the Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP), the top ten web application security risks, and how to mitigate against them. It uses WebGoat, a deliberately insecure web application maintained by OWASP to provide hands-on experience of application security and penetration-testing techniques.
By the end of this module, apprentices will understand the impact of deploying insecure software and how to protect against the most common form of attacks at all stages of the software development lifecycle.
This module is delivered as five workshops delivered in five days and spread over three months.
What makes it special?
- Opportunities for roles with leading tech companies like Google and Facebook
- Additional drop-in coaching sessions for apprentices to accelerate their learning
- Learning applied right away in the workplace – then refined and built on
- Industry-expert coaches support learning and professional development through group and monthly 1:1 sessions
- Access to events and technical support groups through the global Multiverse community
Opportunities for a lifetime
We place you with a top employer – a company where you can learn a ton while making your mark.
We bring some of the world's best applied learning content into our apprenticeships. The result is engaging and impactful programmes that give people the skills and knowledge they need to be successful in their careers. Matching candidates with the right qualification and our inspiring community enables a diverse group of future leaders to build social capital and strong networks, supporting their personal growth and professional development.
- World class content
- An unbeatable track record
- Outstanding client support
- Active, inspiring community
- Excellent learning experience
With you every step of the way
Grow quickly through regular 1:1 sessions with coaches invested in your progress – as a professional and a person
“I love being a coach because it exposes me to the journey of profound growth. I’m a cog in the wheel of many remarkable individuals lives and to witness their development is incredible.”
Project Management Coach